Historical Militaria & Autographs
The Auschwitz Cross was instituted on 14 March 1985, a Polish decoration awarded to honor survivors of the Holocaust and German concentration camps, including Auschwitz. It was awarded generally to Poles, but it was possible to award it to foreigners in special cases. It could be awarded posthumously. It ceased to be awarded in 1999.The award is a silver Greek cross with wide arms, 42×42 mm. The obverse shows barbed wire and camp poles; the year 1939 on the left, and 1945 on the right arm. In the center there is a red triangle with the letter P, as worn by Polish nationals imprisoned in the camps. The reverse is inscribed ‘PRL People’s Republic of Poland to prisoners of Hitler’s concentration camps.’ Medal with blue and white ribbon.