COLOGNE CATHEDRAL 1908 COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE
Commemorative bronze plaque issued by the Zentral Dombau Verein (Central Dom Construction Association) in 1908 for the unveiling of a memorial commemorating the day King Friedrich Wilhelm IV laid the foundation stone for the continuation of construction of the Cologne Cathedral. This plaque is a replica of the original that was installed at the Cathedral, it bears the original label from the Sotheby’s Baden-Baden, Germany, auction where this relic was originally sold. The size of the plate is 10 x 16 cm, or 3 15/16 x 6 5/16 inches.
Cologne Cathedral has a long history, the laying of the foundation stone was 1248 AD (at a time the city itself was already more than 1000 years old), 70 years later by 1320, the choir, including all the interior furnishing and decoration, was complete. The consecration of the choir took place in 1322. In 1560, the construction halted and for the next 300 years, the city panorama was dominated by the mighty torso of the unfinished church. In 1842, King Friedrich Wilhelm IV laid the foundation stone for the resumption of construction, in 1880 it was accomplished. The Roman Catholic cathedral is, according to Christian belief, home to the relics of the Three Kings. Today the Cologne Cathedral is a UNESCO world heritage site.